Day 3 brings us to another really cute one I saw on BHG.com
I just had to make some for our tree! Felt mittens!
This ornament tutorial uses a blanket stitch, which is pretty easy and makes your edges look super cute. I found a tutorial for hand sewing felt using a blanket stitch on Future Girl’s blog, which makes it easy to learn how to do it. So pop over there when you are ready to sew up your edges!
* Felt sheets in the colors you want your mittens (hobby lobby has some cute patterns and sparkly felt that you can use too!) *Sheet of white sparkly felt or white fur trim *contrasting thread/embroidery floss * needle *glue gun *stuffing (polyester fiberfill if you want the technical term!) *ribbon/yarn (for the loop)
1. print out the mitten template on BHG or draw your own. I used their template, but I made it a bit bigger, so my mittens are about 3x4”
2. cut out two layers
3. Use your contrasting thread to sew a blanket stitch (go here to learn how) around your mitten. Leave the top open for stuffing.
4. Stuff your mitten
4. Then continue your blanket stitch to close it up.
5. Cut a piece of your sparkly felt, or your white fur trim and attach it onto your mitten
6. Attach your ribbon or yarn on the back for the loop and you are DONE.
I love these!
I’m now addicted to the blanket stitch too! My sewing machine has this stitch as an option, but it’s a lot cuter if you do it by hand!
Today's Creative Blog-Get Your Craft On,
Tatertots and Jello Weekend Wrap-UP-Friday
these are just adorable, I may have to share this with my girlscout troop!ReplyDelete
I would love for you to come and link this up to our Christmas blog hop!
So cute-you could also leave the top open and just glue the trim on the front and use as a gift card/money holder to hang on the tree.ReplyDelete
Cute, Cute, Cute! I'm a new follower too. Stop by and visit and enter my Heirloom ornament giveaway...only 1 day left to enter. Warm wishes, LoriReplyDelete